Every mother deserves to be pampered. After all, Mother’s Day is the one day you, as a mum, can kick up your feet and enjoy some appreciation of everything you do. We at Purebaby know how hard it is to find the time to pamper yourself so this Mother’s Day, we have put together tried and loved DIY organic beauty recipes for you to create in the comfort of your own home.
Avocado Intense Hair Conditioner
Avocadoes are known for their wealth of nutrients and vitamins and can help rejuvenate and moisturize the scalp. With their rich source of proteins and amino acids, it can also help soothe the scalp and promote long, strong, healthy hair growth.
- Coconut milk (or coconut cream)
- Add ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth
- Apply to dry hair
- Leave for up to 30 minutes and rinse
Vanilla Lavender Facial Scrub
While sugar isn’t so good on the inside, however it can be incredibly moisturising and exfoliating to the skin.
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup almond oil
- ½ tsp Vitamin E oil
- ½ tsp real vanilla extract
- 15 drops of lavender essential oil
- Mix oil together in small bowl
- Add to sugar
- Stir under well covered
- Use on face and avoid eyes
- Rinse and apply moisturiser
The best thing about this recipe is not only does it last up to 2 months, but you can also add any essential oil you like to make a whole range of scrubs. We’ve included a few of our favourites:
- Pumpkin Pie Scrub: Instead of lavender, just add 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Vanilla Brown Sugar Scrub: add 1 tsp real vanilla extract instead of lavender
- Lemon Hand Scrub (for after washing dishes): add 20 drops (or more) of lemon or orange essential oil
Easy Lotion Bars Recipe
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup shea butter, cocoa butter, or mango butter (or a mix of all three)
- 1 cup beeswax
- optional: essential oils of choice
- optional: 1 teaspoon vitamin E oil
- Combine ingredients in a quart-size glass mason jar and place jar in a small saucepan of water until melted. This will save your bowl and you can just designate this jar for these type of projects and not even need to wash it out!
- Turn the burner on and bring water to a boil. Stir ingredients constantly until they are melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat, let cool a bit, and add any desired essential oils and/or vitamin E.
- Gently stir by hand until essential oils are incorporated.
- Carefully pour into moulds or whatever you will be allowing the lotion bars to harden in used silicone baking cups for easy removal, though any mould would work.
- Allow the lotion bars to cool completely before attempting to pop out of moulds. These could be made in different shaped moulds for different holiday gifts (hearts for Valentine’s Day, flowers for Mother’s Day, etc.) or made in a square baking pan and then cut into actual bars.
The best thing about these DIY lotion bars is that you can add different oils to make multiple bars with different uses:
- Zinc oxide to recipe to make a natural diaper rash bar
- Menthol and arnica (Found at health food stores) for pain relief of sore muscles
- Cocoa powder and natural mineral makeup powder for a bronzing bar.
- Argan oil for help with stretch marks.
For further information and other amazing organic beauty recipes, check out www.wellnessmama.com
We at Purebaby would like to wish a warm Happy Mother’s Day to all our mums and we hope your day is filled with love and joy.